March 8, 2012
By Mary Forgione, Los Angeles Times Daily Travel & Deal blogger
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton’s first trip with her first passport took her across the pond. She describes her experience in the video (above) that she made to publicize Passport Day 2012 this Saturday. The day provides an opportunity for walk-ins to apply or renew passports, no appointment needed, at passport offices, libraries, post offices and other locations.
Here’s an excerpt from Clinton’s video:
“Bill and I went to London, where we spent hours touring Westminster Abbey, the Tate Gallery, and Parliament. We walked around Stonehenge, visited as many cathedrals as we could, and met people from all different kinds of backgrounds. It opened my eyes to a world of new sights and new experiences.”
How could it not? My first passport took me on a high school trip to Greece that did that very thing, too.
To apply or renew, start by going to the State Department’s website and read the FAQs so you know what to expect and what you need to bring with you. (It also tells you how to get or renew a passport generally, even if you can’t make it Saturday.)
- First-time passport applicants must have a certified birth certificate or other acceptable ID, a passport photo, a completed DS11 form and $135.
- Passport holders seeking to renew must bring their most recent (expired) passport, a passport photo, a completed DS-82 form and $110.
Offices open Saturday will offer standard processing, which takes four to six weeks, or expedited processing, which takes two to three weeks and costs an additional $60.
Here are hours and locations for some Southern California sites that will be conducting walk-in passport service (check out all sites in California to find a convenient venue):
- 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Los Angeles Passport Agency, 11000 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1000, Los Angeles 90024
- 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Burbank Main Office, 2140 N. Hollywood, Burbank 91505
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Costa Mesa Library, 1855 Park Ave., Costa Mesa 92627
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Fullerton Public Library, 353 W. Commonwealth, Fullerton 92832
- 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Pasadena Main Office, 600 Lincoln, Pasadena 91109
- 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Van Nuys Post Office, 15701 Sherman Way, Van Nuys 91409
Copyright © 2012, Los Angeles Times